Mmmm… cheese! Since going AIP last summer, cheese has been one of the things I miss the most. I’ve been tinkering around with various zucchini-cheese recipes but unfortunately my body doesn’t love zucchini so I can’t eat it often.
Enter my newest creation… butternut squash cheese! It melts beautifully, looks like “real” cheese, has a great texture and is super quick and easy to whip up.
Ready in under half an hour. Only 4-ingredients with a few other optional add-ins. Enjoy!
Needed equipment- large pot, immersion blender or high-speed blender, small loaf pan (you may want to line it with parchment or use a silicone pan)
4 C chopped butternut-squash (this is fairly easy to find pre-chopped this time of year)
2 C broth (I like chicken broth best)
4-6T Grass-fed beef Gelatin (I use Vital Pastures, it’s a much more mellow flavor than some of the others out there)
Salt to taste
Optional- 1-4 T nutritional yeast (for an extra-cheesy flavor), 1t tumeric (for color), other favorite cheese flavorings (such as green onion, herbs, garlic, etc.)
- Cook butternut squash in broth until well-done (most of the broth should cook off)
- Puree squash thoroughly
- Blend in salt to taste, optional turmeric, and nutritional yeast
- Blend in gelatin until well incorporated
- Fold in optional flavorings
- Pour in loaf pan and place in fridge overnight or at least 6 hours until well-set
- Slice and enjoy!
Let me know what you think!