I read this post the other day titled “46 Reasons My Three Year Old Might Be Freaking Out”… I thought it was both hilarious and totally accurate and it got me thinking about toddlerhood.
My son is 2 and 1/2. The “terrible twos” are about halfway over and so far they haven’t really been that terrible. I’ve worked around A LOT of two year old and seen lots of kids who had a tough two… and lots of kids who had a much easier two. Temperament of the child obviously plays into this but I think it largely boils down to 2 things:
1- Parents are not setting their toddlers up for success in an adult world and it makes them FRUSTRATED!
2- Toddlers are being weaned too early. God designed kiddos to nurse longer (if you would have told me that 3 years ago I would have laughed at you… parenthood, research and knowledge changes things!). God also designed kids to use nursing as a coping skill. It’s absurd to expect a child to wean before 2. They just are not designed for it and it makes being a parent a lot more difficult with a toddler.
My LLL leader says nursing is the only parenting skill you need when your children are young.
He’s mad? He nurses.
He’s sad? He nurses.
He’s not listening? He nurses (Hello captive audience!!!)
Kids typically will no self-wean before 3-4 years old. If your kiddo seems to have weaned early keep offering… it will make your toddlerhood SO much easier to just snuggle up and nurse.
So inspired by the above post here are :
- He’s hungry (obviously…)
- He’s sad
- A friend won’t share
- Mama just got home
- He misses Dada
- A friend just left
- He’s lonely
- He is bored
- It’s hot outside
- There was a loud sound
- He’s tired
- He got hurt
- His tummy hurts
- He is scared
- Mama asked him to do something he doesn’t want to do
- He’s frustrated
- The grownup world is confusing
- There is a new person around
- We went to a different place
- He’s working on teeth
- He is having growing pains (did you know breastmilk actually contains something to help relieve pain?!?!)
- Mama is getting ready to leave
- He’s plugged up
- He has a cough
- He’s thirsty
- That kid over there looked at him
- A friend hit him
- Someone got to close to him
- He wants my attention
- He can tell Mama is sad (oxytocin releases make Mama and baby happier)
- Company just left and he misses them
- The bug flew too close by
- A cat walked by him
- The food was too spicy
- The food was too sweet
- The food was too salty… you get the idea
- He saw someone else nursing and thought it looked like a good idea
- The baby that was visiting was getting too much of Mama’s attention
- Mama just got done working
- He’s been playing too hard
- He’s cold
- The sun got in his eyes
- A friend told him no
- He bumped his knee, head, elbow, chin, etc.
- The toy won’t do what he wants it to do
- He can’t throw the ball far enough
- Mama won’t buy him a new toy
- He wants to feel tiny again
- Dada went away on an overnight at work
- He needs snuggles, comfort and love!!