This post is not about poop… it’s about shampoo- or lack thereof…
Enter no ‘poo…
When I first learned about this I wasn’t quite sure but the more I researched the more I wanted to try it so I finally bit the bullet and gave it a shot.
No poo is washing your hair with baking soda and vinegar.
The best info I found about no ‘poo was on this website. She convinced me I could do it and I’m NEVER EVER going back to shampoo.
I love how easy it is, I love the results and I LOVE the price.
I buy baking soda in 13 bags at Costco for $7 and it lasts me at least 2 years and I use it for TONS of things around the house in addition to my hair. I only go through about a bottle of apple cider vinegar a year for my hair and it’s only a couple bucks if I score it on sale (I always buy organic). Sometimes I deep condition w/ some coconut oil but I buy that by the half gallon for about $18 (organic extra virgin coldpressed) and I have one for cooking and one for body care and it will last me a couple of years and we use it for TONS of other things.
I said $5 A YEAR for your hair PEOPLE!!!!!!! (and I think that is probably high because we use the products for so many other things in our house too)
If you like something smelly you can add essential oils so you get some smell but you only need 1 or 2 drops for each batch you make because a little bit goes a LONG way w/ essential oils. I like to add one drop of lemongrass and one drop of grapefruit to each batch I make.
Going No ‘Poo does take some adjustment because cosmetics are designed so we keep needing more of them to get the same results and they PILE chemicals and junk on our hair. It takes about 4 weeks for your hair to adjust and to balance out the PH properly so get ready to use a lot of hair ties and wear hats for a while but once your hair adjusts it’s easy peasy. You only have to wash your hair once or twice a week once your hair adjusts- oil is good for your hair… let your body adjust!!!!!
There are a lot of different methods for going no ‘poo but here is what works well for me:
- I have a small jar that I mix enough baking soda and water in to make a paste and I add 2 drops of essential oils to this and mix it up really well w/ a spoon or my finger.
- Some no ‘poo people say to use 1 or 2 tablespoons of baking soda to about a cup of water but I found it didn’t take care of environmental build up enough for me
- Then I massage it onto my scalp and count to 100 while massaging especially around the “crown” area of my scalp (the circle on top of your head if you’re wearing an imaginary crown)
- Then rinse it really well and continue massaging your head while you rinse
- To condition: I only condition about twice a month with organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Depending on your hair and your body’s natural oil production you may need to tinker with it a bit… in the beginning it’s best to do it only about once a week and then after your hair adjusts to no ‘poo you’ll learn what works best and how often you need to condition
- I use my peri bottle from the hospital and 2oz of ACV to 6oz of nice warm water
- After I’ve rinse my baking soda mixture I slowly pour the ACV mixture over my head, give it a good rub into the ends and rinse well
- For a nice deep condition: Take about 1-2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil and rub it into your hair and either leave it in for several hours before showering or sleep w/ a shower cap on to get a nice DEEP condition. I try to do this once a month